Friday, September 6, 2013

How to Clean Dried Paint out of Brushes

How to Clean Art Brushes
One of my students showed up at class today and announced..... "I've made an Expensive Mistake!"

She'd taken her brushes home from art classes the week prior and had forgotten to clean them. The paint had dried and the bristles were hard and twisted.


Her face lit up when I told her I could fix that for her but then fell when I told her that the brushes would have to soak for about 24 hours . . . she had no clean brushes to use for class.

What is a Ferrule?
Fortunately for her, the paint was not deeply embedded in the ferrule. (The ferrule is the metal portion of the brush that attaches the hair to the handle). So I suggested we try something else. 


I pulled out my trusty Lanolin Hand Cleaner (the type that garage mechanics use to clean the grime from their hands after working on cars), and squeezed a small amount in the palm of my hand.

I worked the brush back and forth through the cleaner - and voila! - the paint came free.

I use this to do a final cleaning of all my brushes and then wash them in cool water with soap before putting them away. It is especially useful when I've gotten paint deep down into the ferrule.

You can purchase lanolin hand cleaner at any automotive supply store - just make sure to get the kind that does NOT have grit (which will ruin your brushes).

You can also buy it on Amazon here:



Getting Oil Paint out of Clothes
A long time ago - in an age far, far away - I once managed to get a whole pile of green oil paint all over the front of an orange top I was wearing.

A newbie to painting, I had no idea what to do. I picked up my lanolin hand cleaner and rubbed it into the shirt, which made an even bigger mess. Figuring that the shirt was ruined, I tossed the shirt into a corner by my washing machine and left it for about a week.

The next time I did laundry, I tossed the orange shirt in with some old rags and to my amazement ALL THE PAINT CAME OUT! I was stunned!

I've even managed to get small amounts of dried paint out of clothing by rubbing the cleaner into the area and leaving it for a day before washing. 

A Word of Caution
Lanolin hand cleaners have a solvent in them, so you'll need to be careful in handling them. Use them in a well ventilated area, keep them away from flames, keep away from children, avoid eye contact, don't take internally, etc. Always read and follow the directions on all of your art products before use.

Other Ways to Clean Paint from Brushes
I've also heard that fabric softener works really well and I'm going to try this sometime.

If you have any other cures for dried paint - please share with others by leaving a comment. I'll give it a try and report back on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!