Friday, October 25, 2013

Moving Past Creative Blocks In Your Art


Breaking Through Creative Blocks
As Artists, we tend to be hyper-critical of ourselves and our work. Sadly, I often see how this stunts the growth of many wanna-be artists. One of my greatest joys in life is nurturing my students to overcome this creative block.

Throughout my many years of teaching, I've watched as student after student blossoms into the delight of allowing their creativity to expand.

And last night I experienced the EUPHORIA that art instructors thrive upon. We were in the final evening of a course and all my students had improved powerfully over the past several weeks. It felt good to be watching them discover their own talents. Each and every one of them had grown so much!

Getting Out of Your Head and Into Your Heart 
One student stood out... Her first drawing of the evening was awkward, stiff and unsure. I sat with her and gently offered her the idea of relaxing with the process, loosening her 'grip' on "how it should look" and walked her through the simple steps I'd been introducing to her throughout the course.

The next time I passed her I got chill bumps! Her work had moved from inhibited to masterful!

She'd quantum leaped - and not just once, but time after time she repeated creating the beauty she was allowing. She'd not only opened her eyes, she'd open her heart.

Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!